Commuter Student Policy

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, we value the diverse needs and circumstances of our student body. While we encourage students to fully engage in the campus experience, we understand that certain situations may warrant consideration for commuter student status. Therefore, the following criteria outline the circumstances under which students in the Campus Program may request commuter status:

  1. Age Requirement: Students who are 24 years of age or older are eligible to request commuter student status.
  2. Independent Student: Students who are under 24 years of age and are deemed as an independent student are eligible to request commuter student status.
  3. Proximity to College: Students who reside with parent(s) or legal guardians within 45 miles of the College are eligible to request commuter student status.
  4. Students who are completing Student Teaching/Internship/Clinical Placement on a full-time basis are eligible to request commuter student status.

It is important to note that all requests for commuter student status are subject to review and approval by the College. Additionally, students granted commuter status must adhere to all relevant policies and guidelines outlined by the College.

Parking Permits and Vehicle Registration

All students, faculty and staff must register their vehicle and display a current and valid SMWC parking permit in order to park in a SMWC parking lot. Permits are issued to the individual applying for the parking permit, not the vehicle. Students, faculty and staff must also comply with all traffic and parking regulations while operating a vehicle on campus.

Commuter student parking permits are $100 ($50 per semester).

Students must register for a parking permit by completing the vehicle registration form through the WoodsNet Student Hub. New permits will be distributed during student registration. For lost or stolen parking permits, you may request a new permit by contacting the Office of Public Safety.

Office of Public Safety

Public Safety with car

The Office of Public Safety is dedicated to keeping SMWC a safe place for everyone. Our officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days. From a flat tire on your car to an emergency on campus, they are here to tackle any issues that arise. To contact an officer, call 812-535-6400. In case of emergency, dial 911.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I become a commuter?
The Commuter Application can be found here. Students wishing to commute must meet one of the criteria listed below:

  • Over the age of 24
  • Lives with a parent/guardian within 45 miles of campus
  • Will be completing an internship, clinicals or student teaching

Can I eat in the dining hall?
Yes! As a commuter student, a $600 per semester meal plan is loaded onto your account. This can be used for meals in the dining hall, grab-n-go items in the Market, or for coffee and snacks in the Woods Café. Just swipe your student ID! For location hours and daily menus, visit the Bon Appetit website

Packing your own lunch? A microwave is available for use in the Woods Student Center located on the first floor of Rooney Library and in the Commuter Lounge in the lower level of Hulman Hall.

Where can I hang out and study between classes?
There are many spaces around campus that students use to hang out in between classes. The Commuter Lounge is located on the lower level of Hulman Hall, equipped with tables, chairs and a microwave for your convenience. Some other favorites are Sullivan Parlor in Le Fer Hall and the Woods Student Center in Rooney Library. For some extra quiet study time, feel free to use an empty classroom in any academic building!

Where can I park?
Check out the campus map to help you navigate around campus. Some lots are reserved for faculty/staff only, so keep an eye on the signs in each lot! Any student who brings a vehicle on campus must register with the Office of Public Safety to obtain a parking permit. Violators will be ticketed.

How can I get involved on campus as a commuter?
We have several student-led clubs and organizations for everyone to participate in. Check out the full list here. Many meetings and activities occur during the lunch hour, so no need to make a special trip to campus!

Are there job opportunities on campus?
Yes! We employ students in various departments of the college. Many positions are flexible with your schedule. See the full list of open positions here.

What kind of discounts can I get for being an SMWC student?
As a commuter student, technology is crucial to your success. Check out some great discounts you can get just for being a student at SMWC!

Where can I access a computer or printer on campus?
If you forget your laptop or need to use a desktop computer, there are several different locations on campus to accommodate you. The tech bar, located outside the Career Center on the first floor of Le Fer Hall, offers several desktop computers for your convenience. There is also an iMac lab located on the first floor of Hulman Hall. Printers are located in almost every building on campus, just scan your student ID to use them!

Campus Map